This is your chance to find out all about science engagement and science communication in Tasmania and to contribute your ideas and experience.
Come and hear about developments at a national and state level, network with colleagues, attend one of the skills development workshops and have your views heard about where we should be going from here.
The Inspiring Australia Tasmania committee is excited to announce a public seminar on Wednesday April 17 and two skills development workshops for scientists and science communicators on Thursday April 18.
These events are FREE
Wednesday April 17 10.30am – 2.30pm
This seminar is for people with an interest in science communication or science engagement. There will be a series of speaker presentations followed by a networking lunch and an opportunity for interactive discussion.
Thursday April 18 9.00 am – 12.30pm
Morning workshop hosted by University of Western Australia’s Science Communication Program Coordinator Associate Professor Nancy Longnecker.
Effective Science Communication: how do you know if you’ve had any impact?
This workshop is designed for anyone working in science outreach, engagement and education. The workshop will ask:
• What are you trying to achieve?
• What kinds of science engagement activities are you providing?
• How can you measure the effectiveness of your programs and activities and assess and whether you have achieved your objectives?
• What different evaluation methodologies and tools might be most appropriate for your use?
Thursday April 18 1.30pm – 5.00pm
Afternoon workshop hosted by University of Western Australia’s Science Communication Program Coordinator Associate Professor Nancy Longnecker.
Science Communication Skills Development
This workshop is designed for scientists and anyone working in the science communication field. You will gain:
• An understanding of why and how your science communication efforts can benefit you, your organisation, and your audiences
• Techniques to make your science story more media friendly
Morning or Afternoon Tea provided.
RSVP by Wednesday 10 April 2013. Please feel free to register for any or all of these 3 sessions. Further enquiries to the email address below.
Bookings essential: Sarah.Bayne@utas.edu.au